3.08.2011

pretty healthy bran muffins.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not really a morning person. About once a week, I spring from bed at an alarmingly late hour and rush out the door with a travel mug full of coffee. This inevitably ends in my running into a coffee shop on the way to the bus to grab something for breakfast. Well, not just anything. It's usually a croissant. Not good for me and lately, the croissants I've grown to love at this particular coffee shop have been pretty sub-par because of an overzealous egg white application before they're baked. I decided this weekend to whip up a batch of bran muffins that I can throw in the freezer to be eaten on days I sleep in. Baking muffins was something I was in the habit of doing several months ago (inspired by my fibre conscious Dad) but is something that hasn't happened as of late. I pretty much follow the recipe on the back of the back of wheat bran I buy with a few substitutions. I usually use milk with a squeeze of lemon juice, instead of buttermilk, or milk with a few globs of yogurt in it. My mom told me that you can substitute apple sauce in for vegetable oil, something I also do. Instead of adding dates or raisins (boring) I add semi-sweet chocolate chips (exciting), walnuts (exciting and good for you, though why, I can't remember) and this time, ground flax seeds (omega-3s -- good for you and great for your eyeballs, a definite bonus for me). They turned out pretty well and will be a welcome substitute for the eggy croissant this week. Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...