2.11.2013

oh right, i have a blog ...

As you may have noticed, I have been an absentee blogger, as of late. Why, you may ask? I'm not sure that I can begin to answer that question, but it's due, in large part to the fact that I started my own business last October (right after finishing the web design program at BCIT) and I just haven't had the head space to blog as much lately.

Last year was just plain hard. Deciding to go back to school fairly impulsively, makes finances and time, really tight. (It's not that going back to school was impulsive, it's just that the timing was impulsive.) But now, I'm doing what I've wanted to do for years: run my own business. The funny thing about getting what you want, is that it never looks exactly like you'd imagined! I now totally understand why people say, when you start a business, you won't actually be working on the paying work eight hours a day. Ha! There is all the other stuff that you don't bill for that you don't remember about when you work a salary job. Then, there's the work/life balance. That balance was my main reason for going into business for myself. I wanted more flexibility with my time and more power over the projects I was working on. All of those things have happened, but let me tell you, it is HARD to morph into the relaxed, life part of your day when your desk is two metres from the couch! There is always something to do.

That said, I love what I'm doing now. The people that I get to work with are fantastic and fun, and the work has exceeded my expectations. I'm now working for myself, but also teaching in the program that I just graduated from. It feels great to be teaching and has given me a new-found respect for every teacher that I've ever had (including the bad ones) and for my parents and family members (my sister, N's sister etc.) who teach or have taught.

I'm hoping to be back here a little bit more, but I'm not going to make any promises. I love this little blog. It was the creative outlet that I needed when I was deciding what my next career move would be. And fiddling with it gave me the taste of coding that only whetted my appetite to learn about coding and programming. I'm forever grateful to this blog and the support that I've had for it. I hope to be back here soon. xoxo

{Photo from our magical trip to Hawaii over New Years. Another post for another time ...}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...