5.17.2011

little garden in the sky.

{Brussel sprouts, kale and onions, in rows.}
We're fortunate in our little apartment. We have a pretty big balcony/fire escape, in a city where space is a hot commodity. When we initially looked at our place, all Nick really had to do was stick his head out the door off our kitchen and he was sold (or leased, as it were). Last summer, he started to convert our south-facing balcony into a little vegetable garden and this year, what was once tiny has grown into something pretty big (pun intended, you're welcome, Mom). He's growing lots of veggies, a little fruit and, at my insistence, a few flowers. My contributions to this are few, except to stand at attention with a shopping cart at the greenhouse while Nick wanders around with a huge smile on his face and to look despairingly at my calla lilies, which insist on growing more slowly than anything else. I'm looking forward to all the delicious things we'll soon be eating. If our balcony doesn't prove you can grow food in small spaces, I don't know what does.
{Dill, tomatoes and cucumbers.}

{The Raincity, natural water system doesn't hurt.}

{Strawberries! My faves.}

{One bad-ass herb garden.}
{My succulents thrive from neglect ... my kind of plant!}

{The man is growing small chestnut trees. I tell ya.}


{Potatoes do really well on our balcony. Last year we had three crops!}
{The guard cat doesn't do much to deter the crows.}

P.S. This week might be a lot about home. I've had boundless energy when it comes to our little apartment the last few days.

2 comments:

  1. WOW Kate, that garden is amazing looking! We've started one too but it's significantly smaller. Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't take credit. It's all your brother! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...