9.13.2011

maple (or hazelnut) oat scones.

I love scones (or biscuits, or whatever you want to call them). When I was little, my Nana would bake proper Scottish scones, and they seemed to me to be the most complicated and delicious things in the universe. Turns out, they're not that complicated! I make them a lot because they're really quick to make and delicious under jam, cheese, eggs ... you get the idea.

I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen last week (I am obsessed, OBSESSED with Smitten Kitchen right now) and decided to try them out. I ended up substituting hazelnut syrup for maple syrup because we ran out of maple syrup, but they tasted really good anyway, and very hazelnut-ty. (It was that hazelnut syrup that you put in coffee, which we inherited from some friends who moved to Toronto. You know? The fancy stuff they have a coffee shops?) I did manage to get 12 scones out of the recipe (SK only got 8), using my new cookie cutters cup measures to cut the scones out. I also found that they needed way less time than she says, like only 12 minutes, but I also left the pizza stone in the oven by accident so perhaps it kept the oven at a higher temperature. Anyway, they were delicious and I will definitely be making them again, perhaps this time with the right syrup! You know, just to compare ...




{Yes, I like cheese AND jam on sweet scones. So shoot me, it's good.}
P.S. Sorry, for the repeat photo. I forgot to take a photo when they were done and before I realized it, the scones had, um, disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...